Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rainbow Salsa


I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be famous once I pin this to Pinterest. If not, I have my big metal chicken anniversary coming up. Once I get one of those big metal chickens, watch out blogging world.
I'm pretty sure it's taboo to pin your own stuff, but I don't care, there's no hard and fast rules. My friends are starting to say they are addicted to pinterest. I don't get why. They've only been on pinterest for, like, a week. Maybe it's gotten better since I joined months ago, but I'm still calling it pinQUIRKYterest behind its back.
Anyway, this is the recipe for my famous black bean salsa. It's not famous yet. But it will be. Now, I can't take all the credit for the recipe. It's not like I invented black bean salsa, however I did come up with the snazzy name. Isn't this a better way to "taste the rainbow"? The beauty of this recipe is that it fits in with most lifestyle and food-allergy diets. It's gluten free, sugar free, soy free, vegan, and low fat. Aren't you tired of people pinning the 8000 calorie desserts that you meant to stop eating yesterday? I'm not either, but this is good too. And for my friends on the bacon and butter diet (I can't believe you haven't heard of it!), just go ahead and substitute butter for the olive oil, and substitute bacon for everything else.
And, for the record, I took this picture. Feel free ooh and aah.




Rainbow Salsa

1 (15 oz) can black beans (or, soak your own, whatever, you need 1-2 cups)
2 or 3 red and/or yellow bell peppers (use green if you want, but I don't like them)
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 (15 0z) can corn (or, 1-2 cups frozen or fresh corn)
1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilis
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T cilantro, chopped (this doesn't need to be exact, add more if you like it)
1/4 cup olive oil (or just a glug or two)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar (same amount as the olive oil)
1 t lime juice (lemon works)
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.





No comments: